From BR Bullpen
Donald Louis Mossi
(The Sphinx; Ears)
- Bats Left, Throws Left
- Height 6' 1", Weight 195 lb.
- High School Jefferson High School (Daly City)
- Debut April 17, 1954
- Final Game October 1, 1965
- Born January 11, 1929 in St. Helena, CA USA
 Biographical Information
Don Mossi, who was good-natured about having a funny-looking face, was also a good pitcher who won 101 games and had 50 saves in his 12-year major league career.
Mossi was also successful in the minors. During five years in the minors (1949-1953) he never had a losing record.
He is cited by Bill James and others as one of the least handsome players ever to wear a major league uniform. Mossi did not have to put up with a demeaning nickname like Cuban counterpart Agapito Mayor, who got the nickname "Triple Ugly". In Ball Four, Jim Bouton had Mossi on the "All-Ugly Nine". Referring to Mossi's protruding ears, Bouton says Mossi "looked like a cab going down the street with its doors open."
In a 1995 interview , Mossi said that he grew up mostly in Daly City, CA. He was born in a small town in California, eventually moved back there and later moved to another small town in the north of the state.
 Notable Achievements
- AL All-Star (1957)
- 15 Wins Seasons: 2 (1959 & 1961)
- 200 Innings Pitched Seasons: 2 (1959 & 1961)
 Records Held
- Fielding percentage, pitcher, career, .990 (tied)