From BR Bullpen
Harry Root Shanley
- Bats Right, Throws Right
- Height 6' 0", Weight 174 lb.
- School Washington University in Saint Louis
- Debut September 15, 1912
- Final Game September 24, 1912
- Born January 30, 1889 in Granbury, TX USA
- Died December 13, 1934 in St. Petersburg, FL USA
 Biographical Information
A player listed for St. Paul as "Shanley" is found in the box score for the 1921 American Association season opener between the St. Paul Saints and Milwaukee Brewers. Was this Doc Shanley? Shanley was still active as a player in 1921, having performed a full slate of games that year. It is likely that the Shanley listed in the local (St. Paul Pioneer Press) box score is Doc Shanley, but proof is not at hand. Unless someone can prove otherwise, we can assume this was, in fact, Doc Shanley. Acting as a pinch hitter in the game, he did not register a hit; Milwaukee won the game, 6-1, April 13, 1921 at Milwaukee's Athletic Park, which later became known as Borchert Field.