From BR Bullpen
Richard Pendleton Balderson
- Bats Right, Throws Right
- Height 6' 4", Weight 190 lb.
 Biographical Information
Dick Balderson pitched in the minor leagues for 8 years (1968-1975), reaching AA. His career record was 32-21.
Balderson served as General Manager of the Seattle Mariners from 1986 to 1988. It was under his watch that the team drafted Ken Griffey, Jr. Just days after making one of the best trades in team history, acquiring Jay Buhner from the New York Yankees, Balderson was fired from his post as GM.
Balderson was then the scouting director of the Chicago Cubs in 1989-1990 and director of player development in 1991-1992. He moved to the Colorado Rockies as director of player development from 1993 to 1997 and held the same post with the Atlanta Braves from 2000 to 2002. In 2011, Balderson is a Special Assistant to GM for the Braves, a position he has held since at least 2008.
|Seattle Mariners General Manager
 Draft Picks
- 1986: 8th overall SS Patrick Lennon - Whiteville High School
- 1987: 1st overall OF Ken Griffey, Jr. - Moeller High School
- 1988: 14th overall 1B Tino Martinez - University of Tampa
Other Notable Selections
- 1986: 2nd round (36th overall) P Erik Hanson - Wake Forest University
- 1987: 2nd round (33rd overall) P Dave Burba - Ohio State University
 Significant Trades
- December 11, 1985 traded Ed Vande Berg to the Los Angeles Dodgers for Steve Yeager
- June 26, 1986 traded Ivan Calderon to the Chicago White Sox for Scott Bradley
- August 19, 1986 traded Spike Owen and Dave Henderson to the Boston Red Sox for Rey Quinones, Mike Brown, Mike Trujillo and John Christensen
- December 10, 1986 traded Danny Tartabull and Rick Luecken to the Kansas City Royals for Scott Bankhead, Mike Kingery and Steve Shields
- December 10, 1986 traded Matt Young to the Los Angeles Dodgers for Dennis Powell and Mike Watters
- June 11, 1987 traded Dave Harnett to the Chicago Cubs for Gary Matthews Sr.
- December 9, 1987 traded Phil Bradley and Tim Fortugno to the Philadelphia Phillies for Mike Jackson, Glenn Wilson and Dave Brundage
- December 22, 1987 traded Clay Parker, Wade Taylor and Lee Guetterman to the New York Yankees for Steve Trout and Henry Cotto
- July 21, 1988 traded Ken Phelps to the New York Yankees for Jay Buhner, Troy Evers and Rick Balabon