From BR Bullpen
The grandstand for Derks Field was located in the same location as Franklin Covey Field which was built in 1994. It was the home for teams in the Triple-A Pacific Coast League and the Rookie Pioneer League. Between 1946 and 1993, the only season that Derks Field was not in service for professional baseball was in 1966. It was built to replace Community Park which had been the previous home of professional baseball in Salt Lake City, UT. Community Park was destroyed by a fire in 1946. Derks Field was named for Salt Lake Tribune sports editor John C. Derks
The grandstand was concrete and surrounded the playing field, and despite having great views, was rather utilitarian with no overhang.
Source: Eric and Wendy Pastore and http://www.digitalballparks.com researcher Fred Sagebaum.