From BR Bullpen
Crosley Field was originally named Redland Field and the actual stadium opened in 1912. Ironically just three weeks before opening day, the field was flooded by the Mill Creek flood. However, Marty Schwab and his staff was able to get the field ready for opening day.
In 1934, Powel Crosley purchased the team and the stadium was renamed after him. Crosley Field was the scene of the first night baseball game as the Reds and Phillies played under the lights on May 24, 1935.
There were many changes to Crosley Field through the years including the outfield dimensions. In 1961, the entire scene of Crosley changed as a freeway was built just outside of the stadium and all of the buildings were torn down which created much of the Crosley ambience.
The city used the stadium as an impound lot until the facility was demolished in 1972.