We performed a site update on April 16, 2013. Please let the admin know if you User_talk:Admin#APRIL_16.2C_2013 encounter any issues. All updates have been performed.
From BR Bullpen
Clyde Leroy Sukeforth (Sukey)
- Bats Left, Throws Right
- Height 5' 10", Weight 155 lb.
- School Georgetown University
- Debut May 31, 1926
- Final Game June 7, 1945
- Born November 30, 1901 in Washington, ME USA
- Died September 3, 2000 in Waldoboro, ME USA
 Biographical Information
Clyde Sukeforth was a long-time Brooklyn Dodgers scout and a coach from 1943 to 1951 who served as an interim manager for two games. Just before opening day in 1947, manager Leo Durocher was suspended for the season by Commissioner Happy Chandler for associating with gamblers. The Dodgers' replacement, Burt Shotton, was retired and took a few days to report to the team. During the interim, including the first two games of the season, Sukeforth served as interim manager, giving him the honor of being the first manager of an integrated major league team in the 20th Century as Jackie Robinson made his major league debut during his brief tenure at the helm.
 Additional Reading
- Paul Green: Forgotten Fields (Waupaca, Parker Publications, 1984), p. 141 (8)
- Donald Honig: Baseball: When The Grass Was Real (New York: Coward, McCann & Geoghegan, Inc., 1975), p. 178 (14)
- Brent Kelley: In the Shadow Of The Babe (Jefferson, McFarland & Co., ), p. 35 (9)
- Nick Wilson: Voices from the Pastime: Oral Histories of Surviving Major Leaguers, Negro Leaguers, Cuban Leaguers and Writers, 1920-1934 (Jefferson, McFarland & Co., 2000), p. 32 (12)
- Les Biederman: "Clemente, Early Buc Ace, Says He’s Better in Summer: Puerto Rican Thrills Fans With Throws; Sukey first to Glimpse Clemente," The Sporting News (June 29, 1955), p. 26
- C.E. Lincoln: "A Conversation With Clyde Sukeforth," in The Baseball Research Journal: Sixteenth Annual Historical and Statistical Review of the Society For American Baseball Research (1987), pp. 72-73
 Related Sites
- Maine Memory Network: interview with Clyde Sukeforth – audio excerpts
- Maine Memory Network: interview with Clyde Sukeforth – complete transcript