From BR Bullpen
Clayton Errol Dalrymple
- Bats Left, Throws Right
- Height 6' 0", Weight 199 lb.
- School California State University, Chico
- High School Chico High School
- Debut April 24, 1960
- Final Game September 25, 1971
- Born December 3, 1936 in Chico, CA USA
 Biographical Information
"I place a premium on a thinking catcher," said Gene Mauch, who managed Clay Dalrymple for eight-plus seasons with the Philadelphia Phillies. Mauch and another great tactician, Earl Weaver, both stressed pitching and defense. Thus, while Dalrymple's hitting declined after his fourth year with the Phillies, his skills behind the plate kept him employed. The Californian handled pitchers deftly and threw out a superior 49% of the runners who tried to steal against him during his career. Clay adjusted to Mauch's platoons and then fit in well as a role player for Weaver from 1969 to 1971. Smart, skillful, and well-drilled, those Baltimore clubs won three straight American League pennants.
 Notable Achievements
 Further Reading
- Rory Costello: "Clay Dalrymple", in Mel Marmer and Bill Nowlin, eds.: The Year of Blue Snow: The 1964 Philadelphia Phillies, SABR, Phoenix, AZ, 2013, pp. 88-93. ISBN 978-1-933599-51-9
 Related Sites
- Venezuelan League Statistics