Chicago White Stockings
From BR Bullpen
The team played in the National Association in 1871, having been one of the earliest all-professional clubs in 1869, but folded following the Great Chicago Fire. It re-formed in 1874 and played that and the 1875 season in the NA, with William Hulbert as its president. Hulbert founded the National League in 1876 and moved his franchise into the new league.
When Charlie Comiskey moved the St. Paul Saints to Chicago the team was relegated to the south side. In honor of the North Side team, Comiskey renamed the team the White Stockings. However he was only allowed to use the White Stocking name, and not the Chicago name on the uniforms.
- Richard C. Lindberg: The White Sox Encyclopedia, Temple University Press, June 23, 1997