Charles Magnus Ott Gelbert
(born Magnus Ott Gelbert)
- Bats Right, Throws Right
- Height 5' 11", Weight 170 lb.
- School Lebanon Valley College
- Debut April 16, 1929
- Final Game September 28, 1940
- Born January 26, 1906 in Scranton, PA USA
- Died January 13, 1967 in Easton, PA USA
Charlie Gelbert was the St. Louis Cardinals starting shortstop until a hunting accident in November, 1932 put him out of action for two full years and crippled his major league career. After bouncing around as a back-up from 1935 to 1940, Gelbert was briefly a coach with the Montreal Royals. He then became the head coach at Lafayette College from 1945 to 1965, winning over 300 games.