From BR Bullpen
Carl Ernest Sawatski
(Swats, Swisher, or Swish)
- Bats Left, Throws Right
- Height 5' 10", Weight 210 lb.
- High School Pompton Lakes High School
- Debut September 29, 1948
- Final Game September 29, 1963
- Born November 4, 1927 in Shickshinny, PA USA
- Died November 24, 1991 in Little Rock, AR USA
 Biographical Information
Catcher Carl Sawatski played 11 seasons in the big leagues. He found power toward the end of his career, slugging .517 with the St. Louis Cardinals in 1961 and achieving a career high of 13 homers in 1962. He appeared briefly in the 1957 World Series with the Milwaukee Braves.
He won four home run titles in five years in the minor leagues: 1945 PONY League 13 (tied with Lee Riley); 1947 North Atlantic League 34; 1948 Western League 29; 1949 Southern Association 45. He also led the PONY League in RBI in 1945 (111) and the Southern Association 1949 (153).
He was the grandfather of minor league pitcher Jay Sawatski.
 Notable Achievement
 Further Reading
- Gregory H. Wolf: "Carl Sawatski", in Gregory H. Wolf, ed.: Thar's Joy in Braveland: The 1957 Milwaukee Braves, SABR, Phoenix, AZ, 2014, pp. 173-. ISBN 978-1933599717