From BR Bullpen
Bert Robert Shepard
- Bats Left, Throws Left
- Height 5' 11", Weight 185 lb.
- Debut August 4, 1945
- Final Game August 4, 1945
- Born June 28, 1920 in Dana, IN USA
- Died June 16, 2008 in Highland, CA USA
 Biographical Information
Pitcher Bert Shepard's one shot at major league glory came after he was shot down over Europe, losing a leg in the process, and spending time as a POW. Shepard entered the Air Force in May 1942, and was shot down over Germany May 21, 1944, on his 34th mission with the 55th Fighter Group. He retired from the Air Corps in April 1945.
After pitching in one major league game for the Washington Senators in 1945, he was a Senators coach the following season. He later went on to be a player/manager in the minors. He was a key participant on the National Amps baseball teams of former servicemen with amputations secondary to war injuries.
 Further Reading
- Richard Tellis: Once Around The Bases, Triumph Books, Chicago, 1998, pp. 107-120.