From BR Bullpen
Andrew Bernard Gilligan
- Bats Right, Throws Right
- Height 5' 6½", Weight 130 lb.
- Debut June 12, 1879
- Final Game April 27, 1888
- Born January 3, 1856 in Cambridge, MA USA
- Died April 1, 1934 in Lynn, MA USA
 Biographical Information
Catcher Barney Gilligan played ten seasons in the major leagues. He was traditionally listed as breaking in during the last year of the National Association with the 1875 Brooklyn Atlantics, but that now seems very unlikely, as Gilligan was still playing semi-pro ball in the Boston, MA area in 1876 and 1877. The 1875 Brooklyn player was more likely Hugh Gilgan, a local Brooklyn, NY amateur. Thus Gilligan's true major league debut came in 1879, with the Cleveland Blues of the National League.
 Further Reading
- "Gilligan Not In Brooklyn", in Bill Carle, ed.: Biographical Research Committee Report, SABR, November/December 2011, p. 3-4.