BR Bullpen:News Archive
From BR Bullpen
This is an archive of items that were featured on the Main Page as part of Current Events.
- September 3: The Leksand Lumberjacks win their 21st Elitserien title but first in 11 years.
- August 28: Endwell, NY wins the 2016 Little League World Series, the first US champion in five years.
- August 28: The Rouen Huskies repeat as French Division I champions.
- August 21: Unipol Bologna wins the 2016 Italian Series. Osman Marval wins Series MVP.
- August 21: Draci Brno wins its 20th Extraliga title.
- August 7: Ichiro Suzuki becomes the 30th member of the 3,000 hit club in spite of having been already 27 when he collected his first big league hit.
- July 30: The Astros Valencia win their first Division Honor title.
- July 24: Ken Griffey, Jr. and Mike Piazza are inducted into the Hall of Fame at a ceremony in Cooperstown, NY.
- July 16: The Central League wins one of the 2016 NPB All-Star Games and ties the other. Yoshitomo Tsutsugo is game 1 MVP and Shohei Otani takes that honor for game 2.
- July 12: The American League defeats the National League, 4-2, in the 2016 All-Star Game. Eric Hosmer is named the game's MVP.
- July 10: The World Team wins the 2016 Futures Game 11-3, ending a streak of six straight wins by the US Team. Yoan Moncada wins the Larry Doby Award as the game's Most Valuable Player.
- June 30: Coastal Carolina University wins the 2016 College World Series in its first appearance in the tournament, defeating the University of Arizona in the finals. P Andrew Beckwith is named the tournament's Outstanding Player.
- June 27: Kris Bryant of the Chicago Cubs becomes the first player in major league history to hit three homers and two doubles in one game.
- June 25: Kosuke Fukudome joins the meikyukai with the 2,000th hit of his pro career.
- June 15: Ichiro Suzuki collects his 4,257th hit as a major leaguer, counting his time in Nippon Pro Baseball and Major League Baseball, passing Pete Rose for the all-time mark.
- June 9: High school outfielder Mickey Moniak is selected first overall by the Phillies in the 2016 amateur draft.
- June 4: The L&D Amsterdam Pirates win the 2016 European Champions Cup for their first European title. Kenny Berkenbosch wins the MVP.
- May 11: Max Scherzer ties the major league record with 20 strikeouts in a nine-inning game.
- May 10: Rick van den Hurk sets a Nippon Pro Baseball record for winning streak to open a career at 14-0.
- April 27: José Adolis García is named Cuban Serie Nacional MVP for 2015-2016. Yoandy Cruz is Rookie of the Year.
- April 21: Jake Arrieta of the Cubs pitches his second career no-hitter, 16-0 over the Reds.
- April 17: Ciego de Ávila wins the 2015-2016 Cuban Serie Nacional, defending their title. Dachel Duquesne is named postseason MVP.
- April 8: Shortstop Trevor Story of the Colorado Rockies becomes the first player in major league history to hit a home run in each of his first four career games. He was already the first to do so in his first three games, and has a total of six homers in the four games.
- April 4: 100-year-old Mike Sandlock, the oldest living former major league player, dies. Eddie Carnett replaces him as the oldest player at 99 years old.
- March 22: The Tampa Bay Rays defeat the Cuban national team, 4-1, in an exhibition game at Estadio Latinoamericano in Havana played in conjunction with President Barack Obama's historic state visit to Cuba.
- March 20: Colombia and Mexico earn a place in next year's World Baseball Classic by winning their respective qualifying group; for Colombia, it will be a first participation in the tournament.
- February 14: The Australian national team wins the first of the 2017 World Baseball Classic Qualifiers.
- February 7: The Venados de Mazatlán go undefeated to win the 2016 Caribbean Series, defeating the Tigres de Aragua, 5-4, in the title game. José Martínez is named Caribbean Series MVP, the first MVP from a losing team in 15 years.
- February 3: Luis Polonia, Gerónimo Berroa, Tony Peña and Felipe Alou are inducted into the Caribbean Baseball Hall of Fame.
- February 2: The Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame announces its 2016 class: Pat Hentgen, Dennis Martinez, Wayne Norton, Howard Starkman, William Shuttleworth and Tony Kubek.
- January 29: Peter Vogler, Micheal Nakamura, Philip Brideoake and Ernie Bolton are named to the Baseball Australia Hall of Fame.
- January 29: The Cangrejeros de Santurce successfully defend their Puerto Rican League title.
- January 28: The Tigres de Aragua take their 10th Venezuelan League pennant. Alfredo Marte is finals MVP.
- January 26: The Venados de Mazatlán win the Mexican Pacific League title.
- January 25: The Leones del Escogido win their 16th Dominican League championship. Lew Ford is named finals MVP.
- January 22: Greg Frady is named to the German Baseball Hall of Fame.
- January 20: The California League Hall of Fame is formed and announces its initial class.
- January 18: Kennys Vargas wins the Puerto Rican League MVP for 2015-2016. Joe Jiménez is the Rookie of the Year and Adalberto Flores won Pitcher of the Year.
- January 18: Alex Cabrera wins his record third Venezuelan League MVP award. José Osuna wins Rookie of the Year. Raúl Rivero is named Pitcher of the Year.
- January 18: The 2016 Japanese Baseball Hall of Fame Election yields five new inductees: Kimiyasu Kudoh, Kihachi Enomoto, Masaaki Saito, Masatake Yamanaka and Takizo Matsumoto.
- January 11: Hall of Famer Monte Irvin dies at age 96.
- January 6: Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza are elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame.