2014 Futures Game
From BR Bullpen
The 2014 Futures Game was played on July 13th at Target Field, site of the 2014 All-Star Game, in front of some 37,000 fans. The United States team defeated the World team, 3-2, in a game dominated by hard-throwing pitching performances. Pitchers for the two teams combined for 18 strikeouts and only 2 walks, while allowing only 15 hits.
The U.S. opened the scoring in the 3rd inning when LF Jesse Winker opened the inning with a single off Edwin Escobar and later came in to score on a ground out by C Kevin Plawecki. The U.S. left the bases loaded when 3B Kris Bryant flied out to end the inning, missing a chance to break the game open. The bulk of the runs were scored in the 6th inning, however. Chicago Cubs top prospect SS Javier Baez connected for a two-run homer off Lucas Giolito in the top of the inning to put the World ahaead, 2-1, but in the bottom of the inning, DH Joey Gallo hit a two-run homer against Houston Astros farmhand Michael Feliz in turn to provide the U.S. with the winning margin. For his blast, Gallo was voted winner of the Larry Doby Award as the game’s Most Valuable Player.
Among the great pitching performances in the game were Alex Meyer, who needed only four pitches, all of them 95 mph or above, to dispose of the World batters in order in the 5th. Jake Thompson struck out both batters he faced after relieving Giolito in the 6th and picked up the win. Noah Syndergaard allowed only a single in the 9th to pick up the save. For the World team, starter Jose Berrios retired the U.S. in order in the 1st, as did Domingo German, who succeeded him on the mound in the 2nd, striking out two. 17-year-old Julio Urias, the youngest player in the game’s history, impressed everyone by pitching a perfect 5th, notching a strikeout as well.
- P: Christian Binford, Lucas Giolito, Hunter Harvey, Alex Meyer, Daniel Norris, Henry Owens, Braden Shipley, Robert Stephenson, Noah Syndergaard, Jake Thompson
- C: Justin O'Conner, Kevin Plawecki
- IF: Kris Bryant, Sean Coyle, J.P. Crawford, Joey Gallo, Micah Johnson, Peter O'Brien, D.J. Peterson, Corey Seager
- OF: Josh Bell, James Ramsey, Hunter Renfroe, Michael Taylor, Jesse Winker
- P: Victor Alcantara, Jose Berrios, Edwin Escobar, Michael Feliz, Domingo German, Tayron Guerrero, Jorge Lopez, Enny Romero, Luis Severino, Julio Urias
- C: Jorge Alfaro, A.J. Jimenez
- IF: Javier Baez, Maikel Franco, Rosell Herrera, Francisco Lindor, Renato Nunez, Jose Peraza, Jose Rondon, Kennys Vargas
- OF: Dariel Alvarez, Gabby Guerrero, Steven Moya, Dalton Pompey, Domingo Santana