2011 Futures Game
From BR Bullpen
The USA beat the World team, 6-4, its second consecutive win. The U.S. took an early 3-0 lead as its pitchers muzzled the World team's bats, allowing only three hits over the first five innings. 2B Jason Kipnis led off the bottom of the 1st with a home run off Julio Teheran to open the scoring. Trailing 3-0, the World team came back with four runs in the 6th, roughing up Drew Pomeranz; Alfredo Silverio hit a two-run homer in the frame.
The USA won the game in the 8th inning, when Grant Green opened the inning with a double to the deepest part of the field off Kelvin Herrera. He had come into the game as a pinch-hitter for Kipnis in the 5th inning and had driven in the U.S.'s third run with a double off Martin Perez. Tim Beckham followed with another double to tie the game, then Austin Romine singled in the game-winning run. Nolan Arenado added an insurance run with another double. Jarred Cosart earned the win with a scoreless 8th inning and Matt Harvey picked up the save. However, the most impressive pitcher was Michael Moore, who hit 100 mph on the radar gun in a perfect 4th inning.
Super prospect Bryce Harper played the entire game in left field for the US, but went 0 for 4. He did make an outstanding throw from the outfield corner, reaching home plate on one hop in the 6th inning. Green won the Larry Doby Award as the game's MVP. Mike Piazza was the manager of the U.S. team and Luis Gonzalez managed the World team.
- P: Jarred Cosart, Kyle Gibson, Matt Harvey, Shelby Miller, Matt Moore, Brad Peacock, Drew Pomeranz, Tyler Skaggs, Tyler Thornburg, Jacob Turner
- C: Devin Mesoraco, Austin Romine
- IF: Nolan Arenado, Tim Beckham, James Darnell, Paul Goldschmidt, Grant Green, Jason Kipnis, Manny Machado, Will Middlebrooks
- OF: Gary Brown, Bryce Harper, Wil Myers, Matt Szczur
- P: Henderson Alvarez, Liam Hendriks, Kelvin Herrera, Gregory Infante, Jhan Marinez, Carlos Martinez, James Paxton, Martin Perez, Julio Teheran, Arodys Vizcaino
- C: Wilin Rosario, Sebastian Valle
- IF: Yonder Alonso, Jose Altuve, Hak-Ju Lee, Alex Liddi, Jefry Marte, Francisco Martinez, Jurickson Profar, Jonathan Schoop
- OF: Chih-Hsien Chiang, Reymond Fuentes, Starling Marte, Alfredo Silverio, Dayan Viciedo
 Related Sites