2006 Intercontinental Cup
From BR Bullpen
The 2006 Intercontinental Cup was held in Taichung Taiwan from November 9 to November 19, 2006. The competition was held at Taichung Baseball Field and the newly-built Taichung Intercontinental Baseball Stadium. The competition was won by Cuba.
 Competing Nations
- Further information: 2006 Intercontinental Cup rosters
|Australia||1981, 1985, 1993, 1997, 1999|
|Cuba||1979, 1981, 1983, 1985, 1987, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2002|
|Chinese Taipei - host||1973, 1977, 1983, 1985, 1987, 1989, 1991, 1995, 1999, 2002|
|Italy||1973, 1975, 1977, 1987, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2002|
|Japan||1973, 1975, 1977, 1979, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1995, 1997, 1999, 2002|
|Netherlands||1983, 1995, 1999, 2002|
|South Korea||1975, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1985, 1987, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1995, 1999, 2002|
 Competition Format and Rules
The tournament consisted of an one-game round-robin preliminary round. The top four teams advance to the medals round while the bottom four teams play in the consolation round.
The medal round consists of two single game semifinals between the first and fourth place teams and the second and third place teams. The semifinal losers then play a bronze medal game, with the winner earning the medal and the loser receiving 4th place. The semifinal winners play in the final, which awards the winner a gold medal and the loser a silver medal.
The consolation round consists of two single game semifinals between the fifth and eighth place teams and the sixth and seventh place teams. The semifinal losers then play the seventh place game, with the winner earning the seventh place and the loser receiving eighth place. The semifinal winners play in the fifth place game, with the winner earning the fifth place and the loser receiving sixth place.
Rosters are limited to 24 players per team. There is also a mercy rule that is invoked if a team is winning by 10 or more runs after 7 innings (or 6 1/2 innings if the home team is leading).
 Final Ranking
 Preliminary Round Results
- Further information: 2006 Intercontinental Cup - preliminary round results
 Preliminary Round Standings
- Cuba was ranked over Japan due to head-to-head result tiebreaker, South Korea was ranked over Italy based due to head-to-head result tiebreaker.
 Finals Round
- Further information: 2006 Intercontinental Cup - finals round results
 Classification Round
The teams that finished in fifth through eighth place in the round robin faced off in the consolation round. All consolation round matches were played at Taichung Baseball Field.
 Medal Round
The top four teams from the round robin entered the medal round of the competition. All medal round games were played at Taichung International Baseball Stadium.
 Leaders and Awards
- Most Valuable Player: Yoandry Urgellés ( Cuba)
- Outstanding Defensive Player: Yoandry Urgellés ( Cuba)
- Leading Hitter: .529, 5 H in 17 AB; Benjamin Risinger ( Australia)
- Pitcher with best ERA: 0.00, 12.2 IP, 0 ER; Adam Blackley ( Australia)
- Pitcher(s) with best won-loss average: 1.000, 2 W, 0 L, 9.2 IP/1.000, 2 W, 0 L, 6.1 IP; Shota Oba ( Japan), Tom Stuifbergen ( Netherlands)
- Most Runs Batted In: 12; Yoandry Urgellés ( Cuba)
- Most Home Runs: 3; Bradley Harman ( Australia)
- Most Stolen Bases: 3; Kei Nomoto ( Japan)
- Most Runs Scored: 9, 23 AB/9, 26 AB/9, 27 AB; Chung-Shou Yang ( Chinese Taipei), Michel Enríquez ( Cuba), Yulieski Gourriel ( Cuba)
 All-Star Team
|Left-handed Pitcher||Adam Blackley||Australia|
|Right-handed Pitcher||Sandy Patrone||Italy|
|First Baseman||Sharnol Adriana||Netherlands|
|Second Baseman||Yung-Chi Chen||Chinese Taipei|
|Third Baseman||Michel Enríquez||Cuba|
|Designated Hitter||Maximiliano De Biase||Italy|