Happy 10th birthday to the SABR/Baseball-Reference Encyclopedia. Thanks to all those who have contributed and welcome to any who wish to contribute.
2003 World Port Tournament
From BR Bullpen
The 2003 World Port Tournament was the tenth World Port Tournament and the sixth won by the Cuban national team. It was held from June 26 through July 6, 2003. In the Gold Medal game, Cuba beat the Dutch national team 3-2 behind the pitching of Vladimir Hernández, who defeated Patrick de Lange. Cuba finished 6-3. The Gold Medal game was the lone loss for the Netherlands, which otherwise was 8-0 and finished with a 54-8 run differential. Taiwan was third at 4-4, followed by Eastern Connecticut (2-6) and South Africa (1-7). The game featured no major leaguers unlike some other World Port Tournaments - through 2007, the Netherlands' only player to have reached AAA was Evert-Jan 't Hoen and Taiwan's only AAA player was Yung-Chi Chen.
Top performers were:
- Best Contact Hitter: Manuel Benavides, Cuba (.483)
- Best Pitcher: Vladimir Hernández, Cuba (2-0, 1 Sv, 1.04)
- Home Run King: Tjerk Smeets, Cuba (1 HR in 2 AB, 2.000 SLG)
- MVP: Raily Legito, Netherlands (.419, 9 R)
- Most Popular Player: Percy Isenia, Netherlands
- Best Rookie: Stijn Gabriels, Netherlands
- Press Award: Davey Johnson, Netherlands