We performed a site update on April 16, 2013. Please let the admin know if you User_talk:Admin#APRIL_16.2C_2013 encounter any issues. All updates have been performed.
2003 Florida Marlins
From BR Bullpen
| 2003 Florida Marlins |
|Major league affiliations|
|Manager(s)||Jeff Torborg and Jack McKeon|
|Local television||FSN Florida|
|Local radio|| WQAM|
|Baseball-Reference||2003 Florida Marlins|
The Marlins pulled of some blockbuster deals during the 2003 off season, the most impressive being that of 10-time Gold Glove winning catcher Iván Rodríguez. They also traded sluggers Cliff Floyd and Preston Wilson to the Rockies for lead-off man Juan Pierre.
 Sluggish start
Jeff Torborg, the manager at the start of the season, lead the team to a 16-22 start, one of the worst in the league. They had lost their three top pitchers, A.J. Burnett, Josh Beckett and Mark Redman. On May 11, Torborg was fired and replaced with Jack McKeon, a fiery, 72 year old who began his managerial career way back in 1973 with the Kansas City Royals.
 Midseason acquisitions
- Miguel Cabrera - 3B → called up from the AA Carolina Mudcats
- Jeff Conine - 1B → acquired from Baltimore in exchange for minor league players Denny Bautista and Don Levinski
- Dontrelle Willis - LHP → called up from Mudcats.
- Ugueth Urbina - RHP → acquired from Texas in exchange for Adrian Gonzalez, Ryan Snare and Will Smith
 2003 Opening Day Lineup
Luis Castillo, 2b
Juan Pierre, cf
Derrek Lee, 1b
Mike Lowell, 3b
Juan Encarnacion, rf
Alex Gonzalez, ss
Josh Beckett, p
 Awards and Honors
- Rookie of the Year Dontrelle Willis
- Silver Slugger Mike Lowell
- All-Stars Luis Castillo, Mike Lowell, Dontrelle Willis