1964 Philadelphia Phillies
1964 Philadelphia Phillies / Franchise: Philadelphia Phillies / BR Team Page
Managed by Gene Mauch
History, Comments, Contributions
The 1964 Philadelphia Phillies were leading the National League on September 20th, 6 1/2 games ahead of the second-place St. Louis Cardinals. However, the club proceeded to lose ten straight games and saw the pennant slip from their grasp. They ultimately finished a game behind the Cards.
Awards and Honors
- All-Stars: Jim Bunning, Johnny Callison and Chris Short
- NL Rookie of the Year Award: Dick Allen
- NL Gold Glove: Ruben Amaro (SS) and Bobby Shantz (P)
- Topps All-Star Rookie Team: Dick Allen (3B)
- William A. Cook: The Summer of '64: A Pennant Lost, McFarland, Jefferson, NC, 2002. 978-0-7864-1216-7
- Mel Marmer and Bill Nowlin, eds.: The Year of Blue Snow: The 1964 Philadelphia Phillies, SABR, Phoenix, AZ, 2013. ISBN 978-1-933599-51-9
- Andrew Milner: "1964 Phillies, Fans, and Media", in Morris Levin, ed.: From Swampoodle to South Philly: Baseball in Philadelphia and the Delaware Valley, The National Pastime, SABR, 2013, pp. 101-109.
- John Rossi: The 1964 Phillies: The Story of Baseball's Most Memorable Collapse, McFarland, Jefferson, NC, 2005.
- Bryan Soderholm-Difatte: "Beyond Bunning and Short Rest: An Analysis of Managerial Decisions That Led to the Phillies' Epic Collapse of 1964", The Baseball Research Journal, SABR, Vol. 39, Number 2 (Fall 2010), pp. 25-36.