1927 New York Yankees
From BR Bullpen
| 1927 New York Yankees |
|Major league affiliations|
|Baseball-Reference||1927 New York Yankees|
 1927 New York Yankees / Franchise: New York Yankees / BR Team Page
World Series Champs
Managed by Miller Huggins
 History, Comments, Contributions
The 1927 New York Yankees have often been considered the greatest team of all time. It was their 25th season and the team finished with a record of 110-44, winning their fifth pennant, finishing 19.0 games ahead of the Philadelphia Athletics. New York was managed by Miller Huggins. The Yankees played at Yankee Stadium. In the World Series, they swept the Pittsburgh Pirates. This Yankee team is known popularly nowadays for their feared lineup nicknamed "Murderers Row".
Their 110 victories broke the previous American League mark of 105, set by the 1912 Boston Red Sox. The Yankees' 110 wins would stand as the American League single-season record until it was broken by the Cleveland Indians in 1954.
Although the illustration accompanying this article does not show it, this was the first year the Yankees' acknowledged their team nickname on their uniforms, albeit their road uniforms. Their home uniforms remained free of any kind of logo except for the "NY" on their caps.
 Awards and Honors
 Season standings
|New York Yankees||110||44||.714||--|
|Chicago White Sox||70||83||.458||39½|
|St. Louis Browns||59||94||.386||50½|
|Boston Red Sox||51||103||.331||59|
 World Series
|1||October 5||New York Yankees||5||Pittsburgh Pirates||4||1-0||41,467|
|2||October 6||New York Yankees||6||Pittsburgh Pirates||2||2-0||41,634|
|3||October 7||Pittsburgh Pirates||1||New York Yankees||8||3-0||60,695|
|4||October 8||Pittsburgh Pirates||3||New York Yankees||4||4-0||57,909|
|New York Yankees win 4-0|
 Further Reading
- G.H. Fleming: Murderers' Row, William Morrow & Co., New York, NY, 1985. ISBN 5550380749
- Fred Glueckstein: The '27 Yankees, Xlibris Books, Philadelphia, PA, 2005.
- Donald Honig: Baseball's 10 Greatest Teams, Macmillan, New York, NY, 1982.
- John G. Robertson: The Babe Chases 60: That Fabulous 1927 Season, Home Run by Home Run, McFarland, Jefferson, NC, 1999. ISBN 978-0-7864-9367-8
- Gary Sarnoff: The First Yankees Dynasty: Babe Ruth, Miller Huggins and the Bronx Bombers of the 1920s, McFarland, Jefferson, NC, 2014. ISBN 978-0-7864-4966-8