We performed a site update on April 16, 2013. Please let the admin know if you User_talk:Admin#APRIL_16.2C_2013 encounter any issues. All updates have been performed.
From BR Bullpen
|1874 in baseball|
|<< 1873 1875 >>|
Championships, events, culture, births, and deaths that occurred in 1874.
 Club competitions
 North America
- May 13 - The Chicago White Stockings play the first professional game in Chicago by a Chicago team since the Great Chicago Fire of 1871. The White Stockings win 4-0 over the Philadelphia Athletics before 4,000 fans.
- September 9 - John Radcliff is dismissed from the Philadelphia White Stockings after umpire William McLean testified that Radcliff had offered him $175 to fix a game.
 Rule changes
- The batter's box is introduced.
- Umpires, players, and official scorers are to be banned for gambling. Gambling on a game in which they have official duties is to result in permanent expulsion, while gambling on other games only results in expulsion for the remainder of the season. Essentially the same rule remains in place today.
- The balk rule is introduced.
- Further information: Births in 1874
- Further information: Deaths in 1874