From BR Bullpen
|1871 in baseball|
|<< 1870 1872 >>|
Championships, events, culture, births, and deaths that occurred in 1871.
 Club competitions
 North America
- May 4 - The first game in major league history is played at Hamilton Field in Fort Wayne, Indiana. The Fort Wayne Kekiongas defeated the Cleveland Forest Citys 2 - 0.
- June 28 - At the Union Grounds in Troy New York, Athletic of Philadelphia beats the Troy Haymakers by a score of 49 to 33. The combined 82 runs is an NA record, along with the 42 hits secured by the Athletic club, and is the only time in which both teams score in each inning. No succeeding major league has exceeded the number or runs or hits.
- October 8 - The Great Chicago Fire destroys the home park and much of the equipment of the pennant-leading Chicago White Stockings of the National Association. Other teams loaned them equipment so that they could finish the season, but they were unable to hold on and win the pennant.
- Further information: Births in 1871
- Further information: Deaths in 1871