Posted by Andy on October 6, 2010
Here are some random thoughts I have on this year's playoffs:
- The Phillies have a chance to become the first team in a while to appear in 3 straight World Series. The Yankees did it 4 straight in 1998-2001 and the Athletics did it 1988-1990.
- If the Phillies win it and Roy Halladay has a few games of note, he probably becomes a lock for the Hall of Fame. With all those wins and a perfect game, major post-season success puts him over the top for sure.
- The Yankees and Twins meet for the 4th time in the ALDS, having done it previously in 2003, 2004, and 2009. The Twins look stronger this year than in years past and probably have their best shot of eliminating the Yankees. It's amazing that one of their two best starting pitchers is Carl Pavano, a guy who spent 4 very-injured seasons with the Yankees 2005-2008.
- The Rangers and the Rays have a shot at their first franchise World Series win. For the Rangers, this is their 4th time in the playoffs (having never made it as the Washington Senators), first time since 1999, and first time facing a team other than the Yankees. They have won just 1 playoff game in history. I personally think it's a shame that these teams play each other in the first round--I'd love to have seen them play in the ALCS with a chance to go to the World Series.
- Bobby Cox will manage his final playoff run.
- The Giants are looking for their first championship since 1954.
- The Reds are in the playoffs for the first time since 1995 and looking for their first championship since 1990.
- All 8 playoff teams have between 90 and 97 regular-season wins. This is a very tight field. For the first time in as long as I can remember, I feel that any of the 8 teams can win the World Series.