Posted by Andy on January 29, 2008
Using the Team Pitching Event Finder, we came up with this list of all 2007 instances of a team issuing a bases-loaded walk.
Among the things you can tell from this are:
- The pitchers to do it the most were Barry Zito (7), Levale Speigner (5), and Chad Gaudin (5).
- The team to draw the most bases-loaded walks was Boston (24), followed by Anaheim (19), and Philadelphia (17).
- Right-handed batters received 58.4% of the walks with the bases loaded, as compared to 53.5% of ALL walks (regardless of number of baserunners) issued to righties in 2007. I can't think of any easy explanation for this discrepancy, except perhaps that lefties are more likely to pitch in tight spots and therefore the opposing manager might be more inclined to send up a right-handed pitcher.
- Right handed pitchers issued 63.2% of the walks with the bases loaded, as opposed to 70.9% of ALL walks issued by righties in 2007. This one is easier to explain, as left-handed specialists are brought in during tight squeezes all the times, so it stands to reason that they issue a higher fraction of bases-loaded walks (and probably a smaller fraction of bases-empty walks.)
- The 6th-place batter in the lineup received the most bases-loaded walks (57), followed by the 7th (53) and 5th (52) place batters.
- The relative score when the walk occurred was most often tied (74 times) and after that generally happened more when the pitching team was already behind (no surprise there.)
- Seven games ended on bases loaded walks, and those are listed right here.
- 55% of all bases-loaded walks were issued at the visitor's park, i.e. at the batter's home park.
- The pitch count for the bases-loaded walk was most rarely 4 pitches (19.7%) and most often 5 pitches (30.5%.) And twice in 2007, it was 38 pitches.
- More than half the time, the walk came with 2 out.
A few things you can't tell from this report, but that you can tell from the Team Batting Even Finder for bases-loaded walks:
- The most were drawn by Pat Burrell (6) and Chone Figgins (5).
- The most were issued by Texas (19), Baltimore (19), Tampa Bay (17), and Washington (17.)