Today we're pleased to announce the launch of College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com, the latest addition to the Sports Reference family of web sites. We've had plans to launch a college basketball site for quite some time, but for one reason or another we always ran into roadblocks, most of them data-related. However, thanks to the efforts of researcher extraordinaire Kevin Johnson, we've finally been able to put together a college basketball database that we think is second-to-none. At the same time, Basketball-Reference's Justin Kubatko put a lot of time and effort over the past few months into building a website around that data, and the result is a site that we hope will become your go-to destination for stats and info about College Hoops. Let's take a look at what the site does (and doesn't) have at the moment:
- In the Players section, we have statistics for all Division I players dating back to the 1998-99 season. Each player's page includes detailed player statistics, appearances on leader boards, awards, honors, and more. Unfortunately we do not have some key statistics for those seasons (namely minutes played, turnovers, and personal fouls), but we hope to fill in those blanks some day. Prior to the 1998-99 season we have college statistics for 1600+ players who went on to play in the NBA, including all-time greats such as Pete Maravich and Michael Jordan.
- In our Schools section, we have data for all major college programs dating back to the 1894-95 season. Each school has an index with school information (location, colors, etc.), yearly win-loss records, and more. Each season has its own summary page with rosters, statistics, and more. We also have schedules and results dating back to the 1979-80 season, with more seasons on the way.
- The Seasons section has summaries for each season dating back to 1894-95. On each summary page you will find conference summaries, AP poll results, award winners, All-America teams, leader boards, and more.
- In the Conferences section, each conference has an index with cumulative win-loss records, regular season champions, conference tournament champions, and more. For each season we have a summary page with conference standings, AP poll results, NCAA Tournament results, and more. Finally, as with the schools we have schedules and results dating back to the 1979-80 season.
- In the Coaches section we have career win-loss records for 3000+ coaches. In fact, we believe we have the win-loss record for every known coach in major college basketball history. Each coach's page includes a career summary, yearly win-loss records, and more.
- The Leaders section has career, season, and yearly leaders for a number of statistics, including Win Shares, a popular statistic on our professional counterpart, Basketball-Reference.com. Please note that all leaders are based on statistics from the 1998-99 through 2008-09 seasons (the period for which we have complete player statistics).
- In the Awards section, you will find consensus All-America teams as well as major regular season and postseason award winners.
- Our Postseason section has yearly postseason summaries with brackets and more.
All in all, the site has over 31,000 school pages, over 23,000 player pages, over 3,200 coach pages, and over 2,900 conferences pages. Now, with a project this big we know there are going to be errors that slipped through our fingers, so please give us a helping hand and fill out the site's feedback form when you come across something that appears to be in error. Thanks, and enjoy our new site!
This entry was posted on Thursday, February 25th, 2010 at 9:14 am and is filed under Announcements. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.