Posted by Andy on October 29, 2007
Well, it's all over folks. The World Series, the 2007 baseball season, and of course, the B-R SOTD 2007 World Series Challenge.
First let's look at Game 4:
- Cook had a game score of 50--really pretty good all things considered. Nobody got it exactly but lukemeister was closest at 49. Average guess was a pretty close 43.4.
- Colorado scored 3 runs. The average guess was 5, but lukemeister nailed it at 3.
- Colorado LOB was 7, with an average guess of 8.2. Kingturtle got it exactly, as did Dre17.
- Colorado Home Run Guess - several people got Atkins.
- Lester had a game score of 63--quite impressive all things considered. You all thought he'd do worse and gave him an average of 46.4. ImAShark was closest with a 59.
- Boston scored 4 times, with an average guess of 5.6. Truman got it exactly.
- Boston LOB was only 3, with an average guess of 9.2. The guesses went up after Boston left so many runners on earlier in the series. Lukemeister was by far the closest with a guess of 5.
- Boston managed two homers this game, but nobody guessed either correctly.
The average score for this game was just 90, by far the lowest of all 4 games. You guys got better and better as we went along, it seems.
The leaderboard for Game 4 is quite interesting:
1. Dre17 - 37 points
2. kingturtle - 46
3. ImAShark - 48
4. lukemeister - 53
5. doug730 - 7 1
Firstly, I'm happy to see kingturtle finally make the top 5. He made a lot of correct guesses through the whole competition but didn't put it all together until this game. Secondly, lukemeister got 4th without guessing either pitching decision correctly. Had he guessed Lester/Cook correctly, he would have had a 13, by far the lowest score of the entire Challenge. (Everybody else on this leaderboard got the pitchers right, and did much poorer in everything else than lukemeister.)
With Dre17 winning for the third time, I think there is very little drama in the final standings:
1. Dre17 - 247 points
2. doug730 - 311
3. larryhisle - 385
4. kingturtle - 413
5. zimcity - 419
6. spartanbill - 429
7. lukemeister - 450
8. truman - 455
9. wellspr - 460
You folks are the only 9 to complete all four games, and I listed everybody because you're all winners. Everybody else who had a bad game or two dropped out, and would have finished with much worse scores. So, no joke, I really think all 9 of you did really well. Some just did a little better 🙂
So, congrats to Dre17. Now, with that email address of yours, will you finally tell us if you are, indeed, former major leaguer Paul Assenmacher?
Thanks to everybody for participating!
Don't stop reading the SOTD blog just because the season is over. We'll continue to bring you nuggets from the Baseball-Reference.com Play Index all throughout the winter. In fact, now is a good time to email a few of your friends about this blog so they can also keep warm during the hot stove months ahead.