Posted by Andy on May 6, 2011
I was just looking at Juan Pierre's player page after Neil mentioned a recent discussion about the guy on another thread.
Some random thoughts:
- As of today he has exactly 397 walks and 397 strikeouts in his career
- It's amazing that he led the NL in hits in 2006 but also had an 82 OPS+! That's what you get when you bat leadoff and rarely walk.
- Hence leading the league in AB 3 different times.
- He played every single same from 2003 through 2007. Wow.
- How does such a fast guy ground into 77 double plays, especially when batting leadoff? (You can't lead off the game with a GIDP...)
- Led the league (or all of MLB) in caught stealing 6 times, plus leading MLB so far in 2011.
- Hit by pitch might be saving his career OBP. He's gotten on base at a .346 clip...certainly not great but not horrible. His low walk total really hurts him, but he's got 89 times hit by pitch in his career, which really helps a lot.
- At the moment, he has 911 career runs scored. 9-1-1 indeed.