Posted by Andy on March 30, 2011
Here is the full list (1901-present, Gerry) of players with a career ERA+ of 120 or better (minimum 1000 IP):
|Boston Red Sox||13||Roger Clemens / Lefty Grove / Tex Hughson / Ellis Kinder / Dutch Leonard / Derek Lowe / Pedro Martinez / Carl Mays / Mel Parnell / Babe Ruth / Frank Sullivan / Smoky Joe Wood / Cy Young|
|Chicago Cubs||10||Pete Alexander / Mordecai Brown / Bill Hands / Orval Overall / Jack Pfiester / Ed Reulbach / Jack Taylor / Hippo Vaughn / Lon Warneke / Carlos Zambrano|
|New York Yankees||9||Tiny Bonham / Spud Chandler / Russ Ford / Whitey Ford / Lefty Gomez / Eddie Lopat / Carl Mays / Dave Righetti / Mariano Rivera|
|St. Louis Cardinals||9||Al Brazle / Harry Brecheen / Chris Carpenter / Mort Cooper / Dizzy Dean / Bob Gibson / Max Lanier / Howie Pollet / Curt Simmons|
|Chicago White Sox||8||Mark Buehrle / Eddie Cicotte / Thornton Lee / Billy Pierce / Johnny Rigney / Reb Russell / Jim Scott / Ed Walsh|
|Detroit Tigers||8||Al Benton / Tommy Bridges / Harry Coveleski / John Hiller / Hal Newhouser / Dave Rozema / Ed Siever / Dizzy Trout|
|San Francisco Giants||7||Johnny Antonelli / Matt Cain / Carl Hubbell / Sal Maglie / Juan Marichal / Christy Mathewson / Jason Schmidt|
|Cincinnati Reds||6||Ewell Blackwell / Bob Ewing / Noodles Hahn / Dolf Luque / Jose Rijo / Bucky Walters|
|Cleveland Indians||6||Bartolo Colon / Stan Coveleski / Bob Feller / Wes Ferrell / Addie Joss / Gaylord Perry|
|Los Angeles Dodgers||6||Don Drysdale / Sandy Koufax / Jeff Pfeffer / Preacher Roe / Dazzy Vance / Whit Wyatt|
|Oakland Athletics||6||Lefty Grove / Tim Hudson / Eddie Plank / Eddie Rommel / Rube Waddell / Barry Zito|
|Baltimore Orioles||5||Ned Garver / Harry Howell / Mike Mussina / Jim Palmer / Urban Shocker|
|Atlanta Braves||4||Tom Glavine / Greg Maddux / John Smoltz / Warren Spahn|
|Philadelphia Phillies||4||Pete Alexander / Jim Bunning / Steve Carlton / Curt Schilling|
|Pittsburgh Pirates||3||Sam Leever / Kent Tekulve / Vic Willis|
|Toronto Blue Jays||3||Roy Halladay / Jimmy Key / Dave Stieb|
|Arizona Diamondbacks||2||Randy Johnson / Brandon Webb|
|Kansas City Royals||2||Kevin Appier / Bret Saberhagen|
|Minnesota Twins||2||Walter Johnson / Johan Santana|
|New York Mets||2||Al Leiter / Tom Seaver|
|Seattle Mariners||2||Felix Hernandez / Randy Johnson|
|Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim||1||Dean Chance|
|Houston Astros||1||Roy Oswalt|
|Washington Nationals||1||Dennis Martinez|
|San Diego Padres||0|
|Tampa Bay Rays||0|
Among the teams with nobody:
- The Padres got screwed by my arbitrary criteria, as Trevor Hoffman finished with 952.1 IP and Jake Peavy finished his Padres career with a 119 ERA+. They have nobody else close to qualifying (and active).
- The Rockies seem fairly likely to add Ubaldo Jimenez to this list in 2012, as he's currently at 133 ERA+ over 728 IP.
- For the Marlins, Josh Johnson is well on his way. He's currently at 138 ERA+ and 665 IP. Two more solid, healthy seasons would do it.
- Dan Plesac is the only Brewer with at least 500 IP and an ERA+ of 120, and he only had 524.1 IP with the team. Teddy Higuera was a near miss at 117 ERA+. Nobody else is active and close.
- The Rays have nobody close at all. In fact there are only two pitchers (James Shields and Andy Sonnanstine) with at least 500 IP and still with the team.
- The Rangers don't have a single pitcher with at least 500 IP and an ERA+ of 120. They don't even have any active pitchers with 500 IP and an ERA+ of 100.